Places to Go

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Nutella Cookies Take Two

Cooookie
     Today, I started cooking very late. This means, I cooked between 10:45 pm and now. But, look at me, I am posting! Do you know why? Because I made cookies, and cookies take no time at all. What kind of cookies? Well, I did title this post "Nutella Cookies" after all. But, they are not any Nutella cookies: they are flourless Nutella Peanut Butter Cookies.

No more peanut butter!
     There are these flourless peanut butter cookies that I make quite often. They require only four ingredients: peanut butter, sugar, baking soda, and an egg. But, lo and behold, there was barely any peanut butter at home! So, using Nutella instead seemed the natural thing to do. We have two whole things of Nutella here, my family is obviously prepared for these late night cooking crises.


     The thing is that Nutella doesn't work exactly like peanut butter. It is less dense and - I think - not as buttery. So, my mom said to add flour to the cookies. But, I wanted to try something new. I wanted true flourless cookies! I went with my instincts. I did figure using the Nutella would make the cookies spread more, so I only put about seven on each cookie sheet. I also reduced the baking time (well, not in time to fix the first batch - CV, who I was skyping with, made me forget the importance of taking these cookies out early....but I got to talk to him, yay!).

Guess what it looks like????
     So, how did my cookies turn out? Well, I did overcook the first batch, sigh. They are light and crispy and still taste good, but even though I have eaten far too many -- to save other people from eating them of course --- I must say that they have gotten a little burnt around the edges. What do the second batch taste like? Peanut buttery chocolately hazelnut-y goodness. They are thin and chewy and like candy almost. Now, all I need is a glass of milk.

Nutella Peanut Butter Cookies 
Adapted from Honey and Jam 

1/4 cup Peanut Butter 
3/4 cup Nutella 
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Granulated Sugar 
1 Egg 
1 tsp Baking Soda

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and butter (grease) two baking sheets. Using an electric beater, mix the peanut butter, Nutella, and sugar together. Then, beat in the egg and baking soda. Roll the batter into small (about half a tbsp) balls and place them on the baking sheet, about 7 per sheet. Bake for about 7-8 minutes, until they are light colored with darker streaks running through them. Cool on the sheet for 3 minutes and then cool them all the way on a wire rack. Enjoy with a glass of milk! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I just started following your blog recently, and I just have to tell you, these cookies look A-Mazing! I got the most incredible chocolate craving just looking at the pictures! I really enjoy reading about your cooking experiments on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! You have no idea how much it means that people are actually reading and enjoying this...Try out the cookies some time and tell me how they are! - SS

    ReplyDelete