Places to Go

Monday, March 28, 2011

The Best Way to Start a Day

    

     I love french toast. I know you might have already guessed this considering that a significant portion of both my challah bread and brioche went to french-toast making. But, I want you to know that when you wake up and you can fry up some french toast, you start your day in a very very good way. And, it is actually a filling breakfast, which is very important when you decide to walk the forty blocks to downtown Philly with nothing else in your tummy.

Bread! courtesy Trader Joe's
     Are you seriously giving a recipe for french toast? You might ask. Yes, I know it is simple. But, on the other hand, a lot of people I know seem to eat the same thing for breakfast every day: cereal. And making other things (pancakes for example) seems like a large undertaking. Making pancakes is a little fussy sometimes, but look at this lovely breakfast alternative! Hurrah for the french toast.


     I did try to gussy up my french toast a little. For those of you who don't know, I really don't like maple syrup. Yes, I know I am a freak. It is also astonishing considering that I add sugar by the tablespoon-full to my tea and I can eat desserts by the pound that maple syrup seems too sweet to me. Wonders never cease. Anyway, point being, I do not own maple syrup to put on French toast. So, I made a little honey-strawberry sauce. It is amazing how doing a mind-numbingly simple thing like adding strawberry jam to honey can yield something so delicious.


     So, me and my friend KK, who visited for the weekend, gobbled up french toast in the morning before setting out to town (two hours later because we ended up watching a lot of Modern Family online....I love that show). Walking to Reading Terminal (on 11th St) from University City where I live may seem like a lot of trouble to you, but there are such beautiful things along the way!

Town Hall: Picture taken while walking
And, when you walk that much, you can never feel bad about grabbing a few snacks. Especially delicious Sundae Flavored Coconut Strips.

Coconut Strip from Di Bruno's
French Toast with Strawberry Honey Sauce

For the French Toast

2 Large Pieces Crusty White Bread (I used Tuscan Pane from Trader Joe's)
3 Eggs, Beaten
2 tbsp Milk
1 tbsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
Pat of Butter 

In a large, flat container (I use a large tupperware), stir together the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Lay the pieces of bread inside, turning them so each piece is coated (if they are not all submerged in liquid). Allow them to soak for 15-30 mins, turning them periodically so each piece is evenly soaking. In a frying pan at medium heat, melt the better. Lay one piece of french toast, allowing it to cook until the edges are browned and then flipping it to cook on the other side (about 2-3 mins both sides). Repeat for the other piece of french toast.

Note: My pieces of bread broke in two, so I made four pieces of french toast two at a time. Don't let crumbly bread get you down!

For the Strawberry Honey Sauce

1 tbsp Honey
1 tbsp Strawberry Jam
A Dash of Black Pepper

In a small bowl, mix together the honey, strawberry jam, and then sprinkle on the pepper. Yes, that's it. Top the french toast with it and serve! 

No comments:

Post a Comment