Places to Go

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Breakfast

   

     Breakfast is a very important meal. I've already talked about how much I love brunch. I mean I loooove brunch. But what is brunch but breakfast foods? And breakfast foods are what you need to start the day out right. To be energized and full of life. To be able to face the world.
 


     So, what I'm saying is: sometimes you should treat yourself to breakfast. Move past the cereal...because some days cheerios just won't do. Mix it up a little bit and especially if you have people to share it with (have a breakfast brunch happy food party!) make Breakfast Pizza.


     Breakfast pizza is something I've been fascinated with. Its something I bookmarked when Deb made it on SmittenKitchen. And then again when Joy the Baker made it. But then I finally did it. I invited a friend over to brunch and made this lovely pizza (using that ridiculous Trader Joe's Pizza Dough...I swear I'll make my own crust some day but it only costs a dolllllarrr and I can't resist...). I cracked eggs directly onto a pizza! It was empowering.


     More importantly, it tasted so good - the whole thing, eggs included. Breakfast can taste delicious. And filling. And healthy and vegetable-y. But also goldenly cheesey. Breakfast can wake you up and make you go out and grab the day. So someday, maybe not today because I know you're busy, but someday - you should think about making Breakfast Pizza. Then you can go conquer the world.


Breakfast Pizza
Loosely Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

Note: The simplicity of this recipe is alarming, you just throw a bunch of stuff onto rolled out pizza dough. This is why you can make it any time!

1 Trader Joe's Pizza Dough Ball or enough pizza dough for a 12'' diameter pizza
Olive Oil
1/2 cup White Button Mushrooms, sliced 
1 cup Baby Spinach
2 tsp Oregano
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper
1/2 cup Chedder Cheese, shredded
3 Eggs

Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees and grease your baking sheet (if you are using a baking sheet and not a pizza stone) with a little olive oil. Roll your ball of dough into a 12'' diameter circle or into a rectangle the size of your baking sheet (alternately: stretch it out, place it on your baking sheet and continue pushing at it until it fills the entire baking sheet - try not to tear). Drizzle the dough with olive oil and rub it in. Lay the spinach leaves down, then the mushroom, then sprinkle the oregano, salt, and pepper over everything. Top with the cheese, spreading it evenly over everything and creating a flat surface for the eggs. Crack the three eggs on three different parts of the pizza (making them a little more far apart than I did would probably be helpful) trying to keep the yolks intact. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the crust is golden and the eggs are just cooked (I overcooked my eggs a little as you can tell by the yolks, but really it tasted great anyway). Take out, allow to cool for 5 minutes, transfer to a cutting board, and eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment