Places to Go

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Catching Up Part IV: Paris!

AB at work
     The last catch up! The last real (pasta sauces just don't seem to count as real to me) recipe to tell from France! What was it? Maybe it's a little surprising. It's neither so French nor so refined sounding as clafoutis. It is cupcakes.

 

     Why was I making cupcakes in France? Well, this time we didn't cook on my whim but someone else's. My family friend AB, with whom I stayed while undergoing fruitless visits to the US Embassy in Paris, really wanted to make cupcakes. And her grandparents from India were visiting, and they are vegetarian, so these had to be Eggless cupcakes. And they were chocolate cupcakes. Just cause. Also, I really liked the cocoa box.
 

     The cupcakes couldn't have been easier to make. Just stir everything together, pour into molds, and bake. It is always fun to bake with a fellow Disney music lover - we cooked to the soundtracks of Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and the Little Mermaid, yay! Sometimes, I do not feel twenty years old. Actually, that's most of the time, but we can save my....fourth of a life? crises for later. I would like to tell you about eggless cupcakes. They are denser than usual cupcakes, and these were less sweet. I quite liked them, as an afternoon snack with tea. If you have someone eggless to please, try them out! And I will be back again soon.


Eggless Chocolate Cupcakes
Adapted from A Site I Cannot Find (will update if find)

1 1/2 cups Flour 
1 cup Powdered Sugar
6 tsp Cocoa Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 cup Milk 
1 tsp White Vinegar
1 tsp Vanilla 
3 tsp Oil 

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, and baking soda. Stir in the milk, white vinegar, vanilla, and oil, making sure everything is well combined. Line the cupcake molds, and pour about two tablespoons of batter into each mold. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick stuck into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool out of the mold on a wire rack for about ten minutes. You can frost them with chocolate frosting if you like, but they are also good on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment